Another commissioned model, this class was E8 under the LNER, but not for long.
The E8s had a long history through their original owners, the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, and then the Great Central Railway; the class was designed by Charles Sacre, and numbered 11 engines, originally classified as 12AT and all being well tanks, constructed between 1880 and 1881. The locomotives were rebuilt with more conventional sidetanks and cabfronts within their first 15 years of service, but around half were rebuilt again under Robinson as part of the Great Central and became class 12AM in this form.
6 engines were so treated and were turned out in the form as seen below, with modified bunkers, full cab protection, Robinson fittings, and were fitted for push-pull working along the GWR and GCR joint lines around Aylesbury, which they operated with some very interesting 12 wheel coaches. 23, 24, and 448 were the original 3 modified in 1906, with 447, 449, and 450 being converted between 1911 and 1921. All of the rebuilt engines were based at Neasden for this duty, but only 449 and 450 survived into LNER ownership and were withdrawn in 1925 without ever being repainted